Tuesday, July 21, 2009

21 July

It has been close to three months since arriving from Vietnam but I have not had time to update my blog. Work takes up much of my time these days.

Today, I just felt that I needed to revisit July 21, 2007.

Two years ago, on this day, I watched my husband recover from an open heart surgery at the PGH-Central Intensive Care Unit (CICU); and saw myself through the difficult task of comprehending different shades of life and death staring straight at my face the whole ten days we were in the hospital.

At the CICU where we were surrounded by still life, I held back a range of emotions ranging from fear, pity, sadness, and uncertainty so that hope can surface. I was both strong and pretending to be strong for the father I promised to bring back home to our waiting only son; and for everyone else, including myself.

I am writing this rather brief note about 21 July because it was the most crucial time apart from the actual surgery on July 19, 2007. The doctors gave us 48-72 hours to wait and hope that there would be no complications. Close to midnight, hope found us and we were already out of the CICU.

I am writing about 21 July because today is our family’s rebirth. This day is very special.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I do hope you're still blogging! I just found your blog and am looking forward to following your successes in promoting libraries in Vietnam. Libraries seem to struggle to exist in places where they are most needed!